Wednesday, August 27, 2008

retour de l'agneau




Finally home from my third, whirlwind tour of Montreal.  The first two visits to MTL were wonderful, but this one felt the most like home.  This time around I stayed for seventeen days as opposed to the measly nine day stays from the last two visits.  There is a spirit to Montreal that is truly unlike any other city that I have experienced.  It is both ramshackle and elegant, dirty and pristine, fast yet easy.  Quite a departure from the places I have lived.  The sleepy suburbs that I have known have left me hungry for a place with age and spirit.  Granted, I shouldn't feel too sore about the places I come from; I am surly blessed with friends and family who lavishly welcome me home.  

But, there was a moment when my boyfriend and I were walking down Saint Denis street.  It felt like the whole city was falling in love with me.  The old brick road sung beneath my feet as the shabby alleys beckoned me to take a secret detour. I think I even heard the sunlight humming merrily through the weedy blossoms.  Drying laundry strung up between every house provided me shade from the mild light.  Traffic consisted only of pretty girls on bikes with little wicker baskets attached to the handles.  It was a spectacular moment.  

Now that I am back to reality, I will be more consistent with my posts here. Unfortunately, I am STILL digital camera-challenged.  

 

No comments: