Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Playing dress-up and Johnny Slash





This past weekend marked the beginning of my life as a college alumni. Well, technically next weekend will be when I walk, but thats more for my mother than for anything else. The photo students do something a little more unique by organizing our own gallery opening. This year was particularly special because it was the largest graduating photo class (28 students) that the program as ever processed. Now, imagine if you will, 28 students with all of their family, friends, and acquaintances coming to visit the gallery on the closing reception, all at once. Lets just say, I never thought my BFA senior show would be so...sweaty. Ah well, we all sweated together in a collective push towards the end. My professor talked to my mother, thanking her for sending me his way...admittedly I got a little misty-eyed. I never know how to respond to those situations...usually it ends up in me mumbling some kinda response that makes me seem slightly daft.

enough about the awkward points, lets talk about the good!

1. Having my boyfriend fly down from Canada-land to be with me, even if it could only be for 5 days.
2. The dinner with my family at my favorite Thai restaurant. I swear Id bathe in pineapple curry if it were socially acceptable.
3. Showing off my boyfriend to some of my favorite people.
4. Star Trek. heheh

Okay. Enough of that. I NEED SOME WORK DAMMIT. You get your degree and people just start throwing cash at your face. Thats how it works, right? No? Well I have been sorely mislead.
So, while I submit applications and resumes to numerous establishments, my friends and I get gussied up and go out for burgers at the local rootbeer-float joint. We were feeling rather whimsical after watching some Square Pegs and wishing life could be that well written and silly. I light up every time Johnny Slash comes on screen...seems like alot of kids these day try embody that quirky persona, but just come off as a self-absorbed douche canoe. Its funny, I usually don't go for the silly high school programs, but this one is so well done! Every scene has obviously been well thought-out and beautifully shot. Its a treat just from a visual standpoint; I guess thats the thing that draws me in the most...the soft focus and lush yet ever-so-pastel color pallet of the early 80s.

1 comment:

Amber said...

I love your dress! And your hair color, is it natural? I'm totally envious of the sunglasses your friend has on! The huge ones. :)