Thursday, September 10, 2009


There comes a time when you finally feel as if your past is beginning to compound into some formidable history. I look back on the map of my life and trace the history with my finger, smoothing over each serpentine road that carries my story. With each leap forward there is a very definitive marker that sets the standards of what my life will be like in the future. This is a big one, up there with moving out of my parents home to go to college, my sister moving away to California, and graduating. But, my goodness how the time accelerates as I grow a little older each day. My childhood is rushing further and further from view... Those memories are becoming a little more fuzzy and improvised as time passes on. Eventually my history will only exist in the fading photographs and the often-failing memory of people.

This oh-too-long-goodbye has given me the realization that I should try be kind and give something good to everyone. Even to the people that I cannot find any common ground to stand on between us. Because when I leave this town or country or this life, I won't have the ability to explain my motives or apologize for sketchy behavior.

No comments: