Tuesday, July 1, 2008

On the subject of dragons and unicorns

This weekend was spent with the always welcomed company of my mother. She and I went to my sister-in-law's baby shower and then spent the rest of our time together indulging in vintage stores and gourmet sandwiches. She and I have, in a sense, rediscovered each other...letting me in on a hilarious anticdote about my father and a heaven-sent marijuana joint. As usual, she has spoiled me with a whole bounty of new items. Whee! Let me show them to you!


The owl, tea set was actually purchased from ebay.  The poor little sugar pot was broken, but I mended him back together.  Recently all things owl have been one of my (many) obsessions.

A vintage Better Homes and Gardening decorating guide from 1959.  It was my grandmother's and given to my mother.  Now it stays with me.  I absolutely love mid century modern.  The book is a treasure trove of some wonderful examples of  the era, along with some wonderfully horrible prints and wallpapers.  


I know I have seen the same cups at Urban Outfitters for about three dollars a piece. I found this entire set at the antique mall for much less. Plus, they are the real macoy!


Lastly, I have picked up some old books that have been hanging around my bookshelves like rejected step-children. The Natural History of Dragons and Unicorns was a gift from an old friend. Interesting, the flight patterns and mating rituals of dragons. Learned that they are not descendants of the dinosaur, but an entire species of their own. Interesting.

2 comments:

JeanPierre said...

Do they mention the planet of Unicorns ?

mary said...

for christsake, Jean Pierre, I haven't gotten to that part yet. Don't ruin it for me! haha