Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Hard noise


This outfit actually feels a bit dated for me. I did the whole bright tights, skirts, and solid tops for a while (before I joined Wardrobe_remix). I suppose I felt like revisiting old fashion territory. Some may think that its a bit too electric for February weather, but its Texas and it never really stays cold or grey for long.

Funny little thing my professor said to me the other day as I was walking into class; she goes "Mary, its so cute, we can always hear you coming". I laughed and told her that I would make a pretty lousy ninja. What can I say? I love heels...or rather, I love shoes that make that hard noise as you walk. Its one of those little details that gets overlooked. There is something very commanding about the sound of high heels on a hard floor.

As a student of the arts, I am always being instructed to look outwardly for inspiration. As a means to find an artistic direction, students are asked to research other artists' bodies of work. I imagine for some this is a simple task that gives them confidence to grow as an artist. For others it gives them an idea as to where to approach their subject and concept. For some individuals, such as myself, they find inspiration to be overwhelmingly crushing. I know that I tend to be hard on myself when it comes to my work, but when I see something so far beyond my own ability it makes me want to stop everything I am doing. Often I get frustrated when I see my peers making extraordinary work while I struggle with basic concepts. Certainly, it is not that I wish others to fail, but that I only wish I could be the best all of the time. Probably has something to do with always competing with my sister as a child. That competitive spirit of mine never seems to fade away even as I mature and mellow out.

Anyways, it is only a minor personality quirk that gets the best of me from time to time, blah blah blah. Its my blog, I can whine if I want to.

1 comment:

caroline said...

i totally know what you mean about the frustration! i've tagged your blog for a fun award! see my blog!
oh and your outfit is super cute!
xox