Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Just when I knew nobody was looking, I quietly slipped away to Wimberley to spend some time with The Great Mose and my bird-like mother. There was much antiquing, dining, and all around good times had. Because I suck at cohesive storytelling, I'll just list the highlights in bullet form.

  • Waking up every morning at 7 o'clock to go for a hike with my grandfather. He would comment on how nice it was it have someone to quicken his pace from his usual slow trudge.
  • Discussing world politics and economical issues with Mose. I told him about the giant patch of trash in the ocean and he told me how his community was in the works of restoring the rivers to help fill the fast-depleting water supply.
  • Home-made margaritas out on the deck while playing with the worlds most friendly kitty.
  • Mother and I exploring Austin like we had never explored before. I was utterly blown away at how many vintage shops we found that had such a high quantity of mid-century clothing and accouterment. Dare I say, it was almost TOO much vintage stuff. Every store had such an amazing, well edited selection of vintage that it seemed...too easy. It was like all of the fun of sifting through mountains of coal to find that one diamond had been spoiled. Well, I managed to find plenty of stuff anyhow, hahah. Oh life is hard.
  • Vinyl shopping with mom. She had recently found the mother-load of all HiFi stereo cabinets with working speakers and turn table. Now she's collecting vinyl records from her highschool years and in the process making me unspeakably jealous. One day I'll find my stereo cabinet...and all will be right with the world.
  • Being chatted up by an old, snooty gay couple who felt it very necessary to inform me that Montreal gets cold in January. I love how people tell me this as if it had never occurred to me. "Oh, cold you say? Well, I'll be damned! I would of NEVER guessed".
  • Assisting for a real-live fashion photoshoot with my internship.
  • BECK COVERING THE VELVET UNDERGROUND Its like the little man has finally discovered that he has a website and a fan-base.



No comments: