Thursday, October 22, 2009

breaching the surface for a breath of air


I need a moment to get my mind off all this bureaucratic bullshit that I'm currently eye-ball deep in. Stress doesn't sit well with me. It just burrows into my stomach like some kind of alien parasite that takes control over my mind and limbs. Suddenly I become this zombie-like abomination who lumbers through the house with uncontrollable fits of panic. The ability to compartmentalize stress is a trait that wasn't passed down through the Elam bloodline. In the words of my mother-in-law "Just take a deep breath. Everything is fixable". Well, its not like I expected becoming a resident of another country EASY...but it certainly would be nice if it was!

Anywho, the other night was a good distraction. Matt and I watched the Ravonettes play at ClubSoda in downtown Montreal. It was rather poignant that the Ravonettes were actually the first band we saw together. Awwwww how cuuute (throws up in the corner). They were just as spectacular as the last time (and Sharon just as radiantly beautiful as ever). I confess that I haven't heard much from their latest album, but from what I gathered during the live performance their new material seems more dancy, poppy, and less noisy than their earlier work. Obviously I need to wrap my ears around their new album to make a full assessment!

The opening band, Black Angels, were a delightful surprise. If I had to describe their sound, I'd say "they sounded like high priests bringing down the knowledge of the universe to bestow upon the ears of all listeners". Or lets just say, lots of buzzy reverb, sitars, and echoey lyrics. A nice choice of band to play before the Danish duo.

Well, now its snowing...I think this might be the first snowfall of the season. Little pieces of the sky spiraling down earthward...

No comments: